[AusNOG] Jobs - degree vs experience?

Ross Annetts ross.annetts at digitalpacific.com.au
Mon Mar 9 09:41:48 EST 2015

I tried getting RPL with UTS when I started a computer science degree,
they would not accept my networking engineering diploma as RPL since it
had been more than 5 years since I completed it. I managed to get a
couple subjects exempt by doing some exams, but they did not give me any
exemptions just based on experience in the workforce. They are also
pretty strict on making sure that any prior learning you have done
closely matches the current syllabus of the subject before even
considering it.

It definitely depends on the Uni though so you should ask around. An
alternative would be getting some certs if you haven't got them already,
should be pretty easy if you have experience already and will help
getting passed the HR department.

For me personally I'm still working fulltime and doing night classes to
get that degree. It's actually helped me a lot in my career already
without even finishing it yet.

--
Regards,
Ross Annetts