[AusNOG] MS Exchange issues with Telstra

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 5 12:38:54 EST 2015

I know it is common for a subset (as I've worked for organisations with helpdesks). Ubiquitous recording of phone calls of all staff is what I'm saying I've never experienced or heard of, and contrasting that implied level of staff trust with the lower level of staff trust implied by ubiquitous recording of Internet URLs etc., including performing MITMs on their TLS/SSL sessions.

Doing the maths on a bidirectional 64Kbps PCM 10 minute call (around 10MB per call), an approximate $100 2TB drive can store over 200 000 calls - and of course the numbers go up if you choose a better codec. So storage cost isn't really a factor any more in whether or not all calls a company's staff make can be recorded.