[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon Mar 2 10:17:08 EST 2015

On 2/03/2015 9:36 AM, Mark McKibbin wrote:
> Not sure how this would work (from the report)
>
> (a) the type of communication; Examples: Voice, SMS, email, chat, forum, social
> media. (b) the type of the relevant service; Examples: ADSL, Wi-Fi, VoIP, cable,
> GPRS, VoLTE, LTE. (c) the features of the relevant service that were, or would have
> been, used by or enabled for the communication. Examples: call waiting, call
> forwarding, bandwidth allowances
>
> Surely the ISP cannot record Chat, Forum, Social Media (there is a comma between
> Chat and Forum) this would have to be up to the Facebooks, Googles etc?
Near as we can figure out (and IANAL, and this is not legal advice, consult your own
legal professional) you are correct- you only need to store data about services you
actually provide, not services that pass through you that are provided by someone
else. If you provide email service, you need to collect your email logs. If your
customers use Gmail etc or any external email source  - you don't need to detect or
store data about that. If you provide a webmail interface into your own email service
- you'll probably need to collect records for email interactions through that interface.

You would need to collect chat or forum records if you provided the chat or forum
service/facility yourself - not for an external chat service. If you run your own
forum, presumably you have the mappings between the forum userids and your customer
details, or at least login records that map a userid login with the origin IP address.
Or perhaps you don't have those mappings, and the authority would have to provide you
a forum userid to report on, separate from a IP address/date/timestamp to report on.

If you were an ISP and only provided Internet access and no other value added
functions, you might only have to report 'Type of Comms: Internet Access, Type of
Service: ADSL2+' along with allocated IP address and date/time records for example
(and apparently their plan details, things like whether Annex M was enabled, etc.).
Over time, that might be a bigger mix of 'Type of Comms: Internet Access, Type of
Service: FTTx' for various values of 'x'.

However, this is all up for discussion between you and the CAC and your Data Retention
Implementation Plans.
See *187E Applying for approval of data retention implementation plans*.
I can see a huge backlog in the CAC department over the next few years as 400+ ISPs
attempt to get between 1 - 10+ DRIPs approved each.

P.