[AusNOG] Welcome to Metadata Retention

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Mar 2 09:06:43 EST 2015

Is that all it's going to be?  If that's the case, I'm set, as I already
archive 90% of my mailserver logs for 2 years as a requirement of one of my
customers (funnily enough, AGD :-p)

We were just discussing it at $dayjob, and the Network team were of the
understanding it would require us archiving our sflow data (or is that no
longer on the table?? If so, that makes it a lot easier!).  I did some
quick sums, and shoving that into Amazon Glacier (80TB/month growth) would
be growing at $800/month^2 - so once you hit the 2 years retention
requirement, you're holding at 1.9PB of storage (!@#!#!), and paying
$19k/month for that storage.  And that's at 100:1 sflow sampling (full
netflow would NOT be possible)