[AusNOG] ICANN to bring an end to TLD privacy?

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon Jun 29 18:25:52 EST 2015

On 29 Jun 2015, at 12:40 pm, Chad Kelly <chad at cpkws.com.au> wrote:
>> On 6/28/2015 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>> Australian network operators and the wider technology community need
>> >to learn what is actually a threat to the ability to operate networks
>> >and services over the top of them. Spam is not a threat.
> That is incorrect, spam has always been a threat and over the last couple of years with the more sophisticated methods that spammers use, such as sending viruses attached to emails in .zip files, its become more of a threat to network operators, and the servers and other devices attached to those networks.

You're joking, right?

(Viruses attached to zip files? Be still, my beating heart!)

Let me get this straight:

You believe that taking malware and encapsulating it in a .zip file, then base64-encoding it, then MIME-encoding it with a bunch of text and headers, then encapsulating it in SMTP over TCP, makes it a "threat" to network operators, in a way that the plain malware executable existing somewhere on the Internet wouldn't be?

   - mark