[AusNOG] Zettagrid Sydney Offline

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:25:37 EST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:00:28AM +0800, Shane Short wrote:
>
>  > I've had instances where you set up things like a SAN with redundant
>  > storage controllers, only to have the failover either not work properly,
>  > or not work at all. I highly suspect that's what's happened here, given
>  > the information in the updates.
>
> Also cases where failover worked all too well, where one controller
> corrupted
> itself and went offline, then the other controller dutifully copied the
> same
> corruption and shat itself a few milliseconds later.
>
> If you aren't provider-diverse, you aren't diverse.
>
>   - mark

And ideally location diverse too for the purposes of DR. The latency
between Sydney and Melbourne for a lot of our customers is so negligible at
the application layer that they buy two vDCs, one in each of our
Availability Zones and connect them together via our MPLS services. Each
zone in our case is completely independent at the infrastructure level.

Tim Raphael
ZettaGrid Network Engineer