[AusNOG] Australian senate passes controversial anti-piracy, website-blocking laws

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Jun 23 19:13:38 EST 2015

On 23/06/2015 6:41 PM, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> Paul,
> The point is, per 115A(2) which requires reasonableness, 115A(5e) which requires a
> proportionate response, and 115A(5i) which requires 115A to consider other remedies
> available under the rest of the Copyright Act, the question is, is it reasonable to
> switch off your access routers and go home? In my opinion, the only reasonable
> reasonable and proportionate remedy available is to terminate the user's service.

The point is - this has nothing to do with a user. There is no-one to terminate. This
is about international websites.

115A(2) requires *you* to determine what you believe are reasonable steps to comply
with the order to block the website from *all* your users, after you have received the
injunction. The court order will not make that determination for you. Sure, you could
shrug and write back to the court "there is nothing I could reasonably do to comply
with this order to block, so as a consequence the site is still wide open for all my
customers". Or, you could block the IP address, knock off several thousand other
innocent sites, and let the press ridicule at the courts make a statement. Or, you
could fiddle with the DNS entry. You might think of something else. You will get to
choose what you think is reasonable, but if it isn't effective you may need to explain
why what you did was or was not reasonable attempt to comply.

115A(5e) requires *the court* to determine if the initial request for blocking is a
proportional response. If you've already received the injunction papers to block the
site, the court will have clearly made that determination already. You don't get to
make that call. Same with 115A(5i) etc - if you've already got the injunction papers
in your hand asking you to block the site, all those factors have already been
evaluated by the court.