[AusNOG] 10G Nexus 9k & other vendors for enterprise switching

Nik Geyer nik at neko.id.au
Tue Jun 9 22:21:52 EST 2015

Hi John,

Have used the N9k's in a few place, they're a pretty solid switch and no issues with what you need them to do. The VXLAN implementation with distributed routing and BGP EVPN control plane is nice too if you ever go down the routing path. There's also OpenStack ML2 drivers so you can do VXLAN in hardware on the N9k rather than using an x86 based network node.

Another switch you might like to consider is the HP 5900AF-48XG-4QSFP. Has 48x 1/10GE SFP+ ports, 4x 40G QSFP ports and one thing HP do well is big buffers. They can do fabric extension with the 5700 series I believe. They're also fully featured with L2 switching, routing, MPLS etc. with no additional licensing fees.

Cheers,
Nik.

Sent from my iPhone