[AusNOG] Server / Appliance Hardware

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Fri Jun 5 15:27:18 EST 2015

Hi Ben,

I think you might be confusing power supply rating with actual power
consumption. A dual processor quad core E5 would be tipping about
200-300W of actual usage, which would be overkill.

If you're looking super low power, Supermicro have some boxes with the
8-core Avoton/Rangely Atom CPUs. I've got one at home with 8 hard disks
running <100W total, so they're pretty miserly.

If you're just looking for DHCP though, you could potentially look at
something like the Ubiquiti Edgerouter line, which are MIPS based and
run a vyatta fork, or you could run something from Mikrotik (but I'm not
that full bottle on their product line, I know Mike from Duxtel is on
list and could probably steer you to the right product)

-Shane