[AusNOG] MTU debugging? (Or possibly just a fault with Amazon SES?)

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Jun 5 11:52:13 EST 2015

Hi All,

Just wanted to come back with the happy news that some 'undisclosed'
changes on Amazon's side are resulting in quite a bit of email spilling
into our network from them now :)

Thanks all (and one especially!) for your help!

And for some fun reading, I was just linked this site:
http://shouldiblockicmp.com/

Regards,

Damien

On 3 June 2015 at 20:02, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <CAMmROTJqXxB7vmN8Y=Uj=
> HVUr9hq7_L+YqAWFd9DwP5+vXUNRw at mail.gmail.com>, Paul Wilkins writes:
> >
> > My understanding is well behaved hosts will send DF traffic only for
> > PMTUD. If you're sending regular traffic with DF, you're pretty much
> > asking for it.
> >
> > Paul Wilkins
>
> For IPv4 PMTUD is basically only TCP with the exception of a couple
> of platforms which basically don't follow the relevent RFC by setting
> DF unconditionally.
>
> For IPv6 PMUTD basically can't be turned off.  Instead you use
> IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU and send minimal sized packets if you don't
> want to do PMUTD.
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC