[AusNOG] MTU debugging? (Or possibly just a fault with Amazon SES?)

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 3 10:37:35 EST 2015

Path MTU is a direction specific path attribute, so it is possible that PMTUD will be working correctly in one direction but not the other. The symptom of that is file downloads working but uploads failing or vice-versa, or being able to receive larger emails but not send them or vice versa. Another symptom is that small emails work in both directions, because they're so small that they don't encounter the PMTU, where as large emails in one of the directions don't.
It sounds to me like you've got those sorts of symptoms, so check that the devices at both ends of the tunnel are generating ICMP Packet Too Big messages, and check that the sending hosts on both ends are receiving them. That can be a little bit of work, so another way to confirm that this is the likely cause is to lower the interface MTUs on your test hosts to that of the tunnel's MTU, and conduct your tests in both directions. That avoids the hosts sending any packets large enough to trigger PMTUD, and if your tests completely pass, then you definitely know that your problem is PMTUD related.