[AusNOG] Ross Ulbricht (founder Silk Road) gets life without parole

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 08:27:18 EST 2015

In an attempt to bring this back on topic (somewhat), do we think that the new meta-data laws being enacted in AU would prevent an Australian from setting up or participating in this kind of activity (ie. Silk Road v2) or was the whole thing encrypted & secure from prying metadata eyes ?
>From what I know, the thing used TOR and so all that metadata would show was an encrypted session to the next TOR hop ?
All I can think is that metadata laws might flag potential users of TOR (and other security/anonymity protocols) to the spooks as targets of suspicion and so be followed up by other less techincal methods.
The Ulbricht case also illustrates the way security often fails, through L8 issues, often not due to technical ones.
Also interesting is that (at least according to wikipedia) TOR was created and continues to be developed by US intelligence and the project receives 80% of it's $2m funding from the US govt.