[AusNOG] CLI SIP utility?

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Jul 23 12:58:47 EST 2015

Might seem like a strange request, but here goes anyway!

Does anyone know of a small, simple, command-line utility that can simply
connect to a VoIP service, make a call and either play a wav/mp3 file or
(even nicer) text-to-voice, then terminate?

There are plenty of GUI things, things that run in windows etc - I just
want a small utility that can run on a remote freeBSD or linux box and can
call (via an existing SIP account) for assistance if certain conditions
exist.

pjsip looks like it might almost sortof-kindof do it, but it's unclear if
it can automatically dial and deliver a message without some sort of
external scripting.

I'm sure it'd be a very useful tool, everything from calling for help if
disks fill up, environmental conditions turn to crap, power loss, fire,
break-in, low fuel, battery fail...

Yes, I could use asterisk (and do on some sites), but that seems like a
whole lot of extra baggage than is required for the (simple) task at hand.

TIA,
R.