[AusNOG] Temporary High Speed Links/Transfer Service?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 15:05:39 EST 2015

The OP did say:

>>  ~2TB of data from Houston to Perth, in under 24 hours?

Google maps gives the flight time between those two locations as 23h 45m, so despite the capacity of sneakernet being greater (a guy on a plane with a suitcase full of tapes could have 100's of TB or even PB of data) it still wouldn't make it within the time constraint imposed by the OP in this case.

About the only way to get it there in time by moving physical media would be to use something other than a commercial flight. Even if you could hire a jet fighter to deliver it for you, they have a limited range and would need to refuel a handful of times along the way. The Concorde is retired now, might have been able to fly fast enough, but would still have to stop and refuel a couple of times along the way. The leg from Hawaii to Brisbane (or Sydney) is quite possibly outside the ability of the Concorde though (in terms of range on a single tank of fuel) and I'm not sure if there is some island in the middle of the Pacific that you would have been able to land a Concorde on ?

The only way to get the data transferred between the two locations in this case is to do it online. Regardless of the volume of data, physics/logistics say that it's not possible/practical any other way with a 24-hr deadline.

regards,
Tony.