[AusNOG] Preferencing Peering BGP over Transit BGP session on Mikrotik

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Jan 29 08:25:42 EST 2015

Just modify the input filter for the peering session on your peering router
to increase the localpref of the received prefixes (BGP Actions - >Set BGP
Local Pref - set it to something higher than what you're setting for
transit, but lower than what you are setting for prefixes received from
your customers). As long as you're not modifying the localpref of prefixes
received from the peering router on your edge router, then it'll accept
that, and you'll see traffic go to peering rather than transit.

On 29 January 2015 at 08:21, Daniel <daniel at dwatson.me> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> As some people on-list may be aware ive switched from Vyatta/VyOS to
> Mikrotik as its much easier for me to manage then all the issues i
> previously had with Vyatta/VyOS,
>
> Since switching across to Mikrotik ive not had any issues what so ever
> except until now,
>
> We have MegaPort terminated to our peering router, in which I have a ebgp
> session configured between the peering router and our edge router,
>
> However when i traceroute 8.8.8.8 it still seems to be going over transit
> than peering,
>
> I was wondering if somebody on-list whom might have 10 - 15minutes spare
> could give me a hand to resolve this issue?
>
> Please let me know and ill be more then happy to provide further
> information on request.
>
> TIA
>
> Daniel

Damien Gardner Jnr