[AusNOG] Favourite USB to serial adapter cable

Ben Cooper ben at zeno.io
Sun Jan 4 17:43:18 EST 2015

I have about 10 of these:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4834

I have the plug permanentley into a number of server/router combos and my
main pc aswell, never crashes, drops or has driver issues.

Works with OSX Yosemite/Mavericks and windows xp/7/8/8.1 without fault and
its nice and long when connected to a cisco console cable.

Cheers

Ben

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Alexander Neilson <alexander at neilson.net.nz>
wrote:

> I believe the get console cable uses the FTDI Chip. I had forgotten the
> name.
>
> The FTDI Chips are very often faked and I have had some experience with
> their fakes appearing in products I have brought (mainly from internet
> suppliers out of the east). For me the get console cables are high quality,
> well priced, and shipped from nearby but other places have other options
> (including Element14)
>
> My advice is to stick one into each bag you take around just in case one
> gets lent out and doesn’t come back so quickly.
>
> Regards
> Alexander
>
> Alexander Neilson
> Neilson Productions Limited
>
> alexander at neilson.net.nz
> +64 21 329 681
> +64 22 456 2326
>
> > On 4/01/2015, at 7:21 pm, Phill Proud <phill at proud.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > No love for FTDI chipset based adapters? I've never had an issue with
> them as long as the chip is genuine, works out of the box on Windows (with
> updates via Windows update), OS X, Android and likely most *nix distros.
> Apologies if some of the commercial names mentioned earlier use FTDI chips.
> >
> > They also provide you with the software to reprogram the chips
> behaviour/pin outs etc (FT_PROG). Very useful!
> >
> > Phill

Ben Cooper
CEO
Zeno Holdings PTY LTD