[AusNOG] Cisco ME3400 vs Cisco 3750

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Sun Feb 22 15:45:39 EST 2015

There's a bunch of other Ethernet related stuff like Resilient Ethernet
Protocol (basically only available on ME and IE switches), other tunneling
capabilities like L2TP, uncommon optical media type support, and similar
features that you'd only really need if functioning as a SP.

Feature navigator seems to go thru phases of being up to date and
completely out of date. I knew they were in there because I've done the
comparison myself within the last few years when comparing 3560X/3750X/IE
and ME options.

Sometimes what you need to do is track down an older software release or
feature train that applies... the latest versions applicable to both ME3400
and 3750's actually won't let you find those models, even though you can
run the latest version on those platforms, e.g. EX/EZ/EY are the latest,
but you're right in that you can't find the models you want under those.

Drop back to 12.2SE and you'll be able to find both ME3400 and
3750/3750G/3750E.

The Feature Navigator "Search by Software" option will also allow you to
search for "available" releases by platform, so using that you can find the
latest version that feature navigator knows about.

After that the latest release notes for the most recent release applicable
to your platform can let you know what features *might* now be available on
the platform.

If all you're doing is up to 1Gbps Layer 2 with a single level of 802.1Q
you'd probably be fine with them provided they meet your
bandwidth/forwarding/etc requirements and physical specs necessary for the
install location. e.g. temp/humidity/etc, and while DC power supplies are
now available for 3750X they may not be for your EoS/EoL 3750 models.

-Colin