[AusNOG] Peering For Porn

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Thu Feb 19 22:24:47 EST 2015

Won’t be on Akamai - they have a formal policy of not hosting “unethical content” and refuse porn and gambling businesses, but getting a hard definition from them on what is “ethical” vs “unethical” is a seemingly impossible mission. Particularly if you work for a company that might serve content that is ethically OK for AU company but ethically immoral for a US company (e.g. stories about wikileaks cables).

Part of this policy dates back to people incorrectly blaming Akamai as the source of porn, if you go digging you’ll find more about this:

The company was also the recipient of unwanted publicity when it was disclosed by the Boston Globe that Akamai was using college servers to deliver content from teen-pornography web sites and help offshore gambling sites to speed content delivery. Few people had realized that Akamai's system of spreading Internet content to geographically advantageous servers relied on college servers as well as company-owned servers. Schools benefited from the relationship because they gained faster Internet access and paid less money for more bandwidth. At first Akamai downplayed the controversy, maintaining that pornography and gambling represented less than 1 percent of its revenues and that it was not going to renew contracts with online gaming companies and no longer sought new business from what a spokesperson referred to as "adult content sites." Within a couple days the Boston Globe reported that the objectionable material was no longer mirrored on the college servers it checked.

— http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/akamai-technologies-inc-history/

regards,
Jethro

--