[AusNOG] Peering For Porn

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Feb 19 21:28:06 EST 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, James Mcintosh wrote:

> We know this type of traffic makes a large proportion of residential ISP
> traffic.

Do we?
I mean, really?
Or is this another of the "say it loud enough and often enough and it
becomes true" 'facts' the government like to shove down our throats?

>From a time when I used to run proxies and a news server, and used to
purely out of curiosity do some rough stats on where the bandwidth was
actually going, pr0n actually made up a very very small percentage.

Perhaps my users were unusual.
Perhaps my summary methodology was flawed.
Or perhape the premise that "the internet is just for pr0n and spam" is
flawed.

R.