[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Ross Annetts ross.annetts at digitalpacific.com.au
Tue Feb 17 10:20:15 EST 2015

LTE (4G) is already all IP and as already mentioned is better suited for
long distances as it handles diffraction, reflection and refraction of
signals better than all 802.11 technologies at the moment. The main
benefit of using Wifi as a supplement to Mobile networking is due to the
limited sprectrum and ever growing devices and needs of users for bandwidth.

Regards,
Ross

On 17/02/2015 10:08 am, Scott Wilson wrote:
> Telstra are trialling voice over LTE with their "4GX" (700mhz LTE-A)
> product.
>
> On 17 February 2015 at 09:06, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au
> <mailto:scott at doc.net.au>> wrote:
>
>     Mobile networks have ranges measured in up to (10's of)
>     kilometres.  Wifi networks have ranges measured in hundreds of
>     metres - presuming these's nothing too solid to block them.
>
>     Providers like Republic Wifi work well simply because the majority
>     of the time most people are around good wifi signals, but they
>     still need to fill the holes of coverage - which basically starts
>     the moment you walk out of the front door.  I have multiple
>     friends that use Republic and couldn't be happier - they generally
>     say that the quality isn't quite as good as standard mobile, but
>     for the price they are happy.  (FreedomPop is a different story,
>     and not a company I'd recommend going near)
>
>     However as far as "VOIP" for mobile call, that's happening.  In
>     the US, Verizon has been doing Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) for some
>     time, and others will likely follow.  For Verizon this is a big
>     win as it allows devices on their CDMA network to handle "voice"
>     and data simultaneously (as it's all data) - something they
>     haven't been able to do before now.  The LTE spec fully supports
>     voice-over-data, and it's expected all carriers will move to it
>     eventually.
>
>      Scott
>

>     On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker
>     <Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com <mailto:Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com>>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi
>
>         So I saw this whilst I was reading Slashdot.
>
>         http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/15/02/16/1627240/cellphone-start-ups-handle-calls-with-wi-fi
>

>         This got me thinking, if you took money out of the equation
>         and politics (sic).  Would it be better for use to have a
>         completely wifi wireless network, get rid of the mix of
>         technology and just have devices that do some sort of VOIP.  I
>         am presuming running an IP network is better than a GSM/3g/4g.
>
>         How much better would that be ?

Regards,
Ross Annetts