[AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Jarryd Sullivan Jarryd.Sullivan at area9.com.au
Tue Feb 17 10:11:01 EST 2015

Vodafone have also been trialing VoLTE: http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/565800/vodafone-completes-volte-trial/

Jarryd Sullivan

From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Scott Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, 17 February 2015 8:39 AM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] wifi phone calls

Telstra are trialling voice over LTE with their "4GX" (700mhz LTE-A) product.

On 17 February 2015 at 09:06, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
Mobile networks have ranges measured in up to (10's of) kilometres.  Wifi networks have ranges measured in hundreds of metres - presuming these's nothing too solid to block them.

Providers like Republic Wifi work well simply because the majority of the time most people are around good wifi signals, but they still need to fill the holes of coverage - which basically starts the moment you walk out of the front door.  I have multiple friends that use Republic and couldn't be happier - they generally say that the quality isn't quite as good as standard mobile, but for the price they are happy.  (FreedomPop is a different story, and not a company I'd recommend going near)

However as far as "VOIP" for mobile call, that's happening.  In the US, Verizon has been doing Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) for some time, and others will likely follow.  For Verizon this is a big win as it allows devices on their CDMA network to handle "voice" and data simultaneously (as it's all data) - something they haven't been able to do before now.  The LTE spec fully supports voice-over-data, and it's expected all carriers will move to it eventually.

 Scott