[AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 7 22:18:33 EST 2015

I don't care as much as to whether it is active or passive optical - symmetric bandwidth is the key. But hey, asymmetric bandwidth sounds right for residential so it must be right (despite TCP being ACK clocked and delayed ACKs due to queuing on the lower bandwidth upstream direction reducing throughput in the downstream direction ... which is what RFC3449 explains, and BCP89/RFC3819, "Advice for Internet Subnetwork Designers" further states.). Perhaps this is one of the best examples of people following their intuition rather than how things would actually best work.
IEEE EPON is better, none of this 'we need to provide legacy ATM and T1 services', because, well, the IEEE invented Ethernet, and if that is all the network is going to carry ....
Even if Google are using GPON, they're still using it to provide symmetric bandwidth:
Google Fiber’s Brewing Little Secret Exposed: It’s GPON!

|   |
| Google Fiber’s Brewing Little Secret Exposed: It’s GPON!Summary Bullets: Google Fiber’s use of GPON, instead of active/P2P Ethernet FTTH, while somewhat shocking at first, is not surprising upon further examination, as G... |
|  |
| View on networkmatter.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |