[AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 7 20:38:23 EST 2015

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Mark ZZZ Smith wrote:

> * I agree it should be the end game if you going to deploy FTTP. Google
> got it right - symmetric active FTTP is the real end game if you're
> going to go to the expense of deploying fibre (as its all going to carry
> Internet traffic and, as described in RFC3449, the best links to carry
> Internet protocols over, and more specifically TCP, are symmetric ones.)

Is Google Fiber active ethernet? [1] claims that apart from one legacy
network it bought for $1 they use GPON, and their Network Engineer job [2]
lists "Familiarity with GPON and optical fiber access technologies."

[1] http://networkmatter.com/2014/02/27/google-fibers-brewing-little-secret-exposed-its-gpon/
[2] https://www.google.com/about/careers/search#!t=jo&jid=200001

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |