[AusNOG] DSL G.Fast Details

Greg Anderson ganderson at raywhite.com
Wed Feb 4 11:51:21 EST 2015

Pardon my ignorance, but if you were to progress from FTTdp to FTTP, I
would have expected there to no longer be a need for power in the pit
anymore (once all FTTdp was upgraded).  Am I not taking something into
account?

On 4 February 2015 at 10:47, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:

> > > I found it particularly interesting that power is or can be supplied
> > > to the FTTdp node by the CPEs, which means the FTTdp equipment can
> > > possibly be installed inside the footpath pits themselves without
> > > needing power infrastructure
> >
> > Is there an upgrade path to this approach or is FTTdp the end game?
> >
> > * I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking about an upgrade
> path to FTTdp, or an upgrade path from FTTdp to FTTP?
>
> From FTTdp to FTTP. Say, 10 years after we're all spun up with FTTdp.
>
> > I don't really understand how there could be an upgrade path as
> > replacing all the downstream copper with fibre leaves you with the
> > problem of powering the pit
>
> Yup. That was rather the point of my post. How that might be solved as
> part of moving to fibre all the way.
>
> > * That's the point of my comment - the power for the 'pit'/FTTdp
> equipment in the pit comes from the attached subscribers' CPE (and
> therefore the subscribers' mains supply.) The FTTdp equipment in the pit
> doesn't need an independent power source. In other words, if there are no
> active CPE attached to the FTTdp equipment in the pit, it isn't operating.
> >
> >  - unless the vestigial copper stays forever
> > as a power source. Alternatively, custom pit-to-premise cabling could
> > include POE-like stranding.
> >
> > * There is no custom pit-to-premise cabling, the existing copper leadins
> are used
>
> Yes I know. But in a post-FTTdp world when you spin up new fibre to
> the premise you might include something that solves the power problem.
>

> > * I think the emerging trend could be described as 'wireless cloud
> first' for typical end users. I consequently wonder whether many 100s of
> Megabits to the home is really going to be necessary.
>
> That's not what the bandwidth numbers say.
>

> Mark.

*Greg Anderson*

*Senior Network Administrator · Ray White Group*

*T*  07 3231 2121

L 26,​ 111​ Eagle Street Brisbane Queensland 4000