[AusNOG] NBN FTTN And Migrations and End User Equipment

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Dec 14 19:01:09 EST 2015

That's interesting, and not what Telstra (and the NBN techs doing the
installs) are telling end users.  When my NBN install was done, the tech
said he doubted my Draytek Vigor 130 would be approved, so likely wouldn't
work.  I flashed it to a vectoring-enabled firmware, and it worked for
three hours, then sync disappeared.  Called my Telstra Pilot manager to ask
what was going on, and he said the Node had likely detected the unsupported
modem, and shut the port down. - And that Telstra could not query it with
NBN unless I had the Telstra-supplied modem plugged in.  So I sat on my
hands for three weeks, and put up with the Telstra DSL that drops out every
5 minutes ;)

That said, while very plastic, the Telstra TG799vac has been surprisingly
rock solid, and syncs at 60/18 where the Draytek synced at 52/13, so I'm
living with EOIP over PPTP to the DC via NAT, and it's working well :)

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.