[AusNOG] NBN FTTN And Migrations and End User Equipment

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Dec 14 18:42:36 EST 2015

The RSP supplies the CPE, not the customer.  According to telstra (and
other sources on whingepool), if you have a problem, the RSP cannot lodge a
fault to NBNco unless the RSP-supplied unit is plugged in first, as that is
what is on the nbn approved list.  The approval testing that the RSP has to
go through *includes* the firmware version.   Now if only NBNco made that
approval list public...

On 14 December 2015 at 18:38, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> I don't know all your questions answers but I have heard that VDSL will
> not have an NTD, I.e. it will be standard 'phone line' hand off.
>
> It's also important to note that nbn will require vectoring so make sure
> the cpe you buy / tell your customers to buy supports it, no vectoring no
> connection.
>
> I heard this from an nbnco employee in a semi anonymous format so I'm not
> sure if this is backed up by public documents.
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Bradley Amm <
> Bradley.Amm at telethonkids.org.au> wrote:
>
> Hey Guy
>

> I have been wondering?
>

> How are NBN going to migrate users from a current working ADSL and phone
> to the FTTN NBN
>

> EG. I have a Telstra phone and working Bigpond ADSL.
>

> Now NBN FTTN comes along. Now I assume NBN are building the Nodes in areas
> where lots of phone lines converge and meet up EG Street Ends and
> intersections etc.
>

> Will NBN just leave my phone line connected to the Exchange and when I
> request to be migrated will they basically chop my line at the cabinet and
> plug me into the cabinet.
>
> What will happen to the dial tone in that instance. Will it be provided
> from the cabinet or will it still come from the exchange.
>

> Also what will happen at the end users house. Will they have an NTD or
> will they just need a VDSL2 modem. Any ideas what VDSL2 modems are on the
> market?
>

> Thanks

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust