[AusNOG] NBN FTTN And Migrations and End User Equipment

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Dec 14 18:40:11 EST 2015

It has nothing to do with NBN, they just get an order to connect a line to
a node, and go and move that line to the node. (The nodes are mostly being
put within 30m of a pillar.  The jumper from your O pair to the exchange is
removed, and it is re-jumpered to the node instead.)

It's all about your RSP.   In telstra's case they totally screwed the pooch.

In the Gorokan Pilot, they were MEANT to send a tech out to install the
telstra gateway, punch in the user's current ISP username/password, and it
would come up on their existing connection.  They'd re-wire the internal
cabling so the line in went directly to the new modem.  And then the PSTN 1
line out of the modem went to any other phone points.  6 days later NBN
would swap the user's line over to the Node, the modem would detect loss of
sync, try VDSL, get an IP via IPoE, and over the next 10-20 minutes, the
modem would reboot a few times while getting VOIP config etc, and then the
user would be up on NBN.

In reality, they just booked NBN connections for anyone who'd asked to be
put on the list to be notified when NBN was available.  And then as folks
called up to ask what was wrong, they told them their modems had failed,
and offered to sell them a new modem for $299.  And then when that didn't
work they then looked at it and went 'Oh, you have been moved to the NBN..
Someone will be out in 3 weeks time to setup your new telstra modem..'

I'm just glad I reiterated during every conversation while ordering with
Telstra, that I wanted it on the unused inplace line, and then when the NBN
bloke came out to do the install, I didn't give him a choice, I just took
his warbler off him and plugged it into the spare line.   Other folks from
my work weren't so lucky, and spent 3 weeks with no internet.

On 14 December 2015 at 18:31, Bradley Amm <Bradley.Amm at telethonkids.org.au>
wrote:

> Hey Guy
>

> I have been wondering?
>

> How are NBN going to migrate users from a current working ADSL and phone
> to the FTTN NBN
>

> EG. I have a Telstra phone and working Bigpond ADSL.
>

> Now NBN FTTN comes along. Now I assume NBN are building the Nodes in areas
> where lots of phone lines converge and meet up EG Street Ends and
> intersections etc.
>

> Will NBN just leave my phone line connected to the Exchange and when I
> request to be migrated will they basically chop my line at the cabinet and
> plug me into the cabinet.
>
> What will happen to the dial tone in that instance. Will it be provided
> from the cabinet or will it still come from the exchange.
>

> Also what will happen at the end users house. Will they have an NTD or
> will they just need a VDSL2 modem. Any ideas what VDSL2 modems are on the
> market?
>

> Thanks

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust