[AusNOG] Acceptable dBM loss over SM cross connect in a datacentre

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri Aug 28 15:47:22 EST 2015

> I have a dark fibre link measured as <4dBm end-to-end over a 13km run, but
> am seeing 19dBm switch-to-switch in both directions.

19dBm, -19dBm or 19dB?

Loss would typically be measured in dB
Power would typically be expressed in dBm

Most fibre stuff I've seen seems to transmit from a low end of -10dBm
(100uW) to +6dBm (4mW).

19dB does seem somewhat excessive to me, but then I'm not an expert in
this field!

Most receivers I can quickly find specs on seem to indicate they are happy
working on receive power levels from 0 to -20dBm or so.

R.