[AusNOG] DR is So Clear Now!

Michael J. Carmody michael at opusv.com.au
Thu Aug 27 17:41:07 EST 2015

So email hosting is not required if you don't provide any internet services....but if you provide one resold ADSL/EFM tail, then all unrelated or other hosted email services are required to be retained.

If you run a spam filtering service you need to log every communication attempt from spammers for 2 years....

If you host email server overseas you don't need to retain, but if you have a router in Australia, that email passes through you do??

CGN is literally a "special kind of hell", but on the lighter side may promote IPv6 adoption.

BGP, who the hell knows....but transit is apparently 'simple'.

Encryption is "operationally unworkable", either only encrypt when you don't need it operationally (for billing, support, etc) OR strict interpretation means duplicating all storage, one legislatively compliant , but still flawed, I.e. The act is broken here, and so EVERYONE needs to apply for an exemption.

Cost recovery still has no avenue for being claimed, distributed, understood or even if it is real. Allegedly 65million available this financial year. If you can't afford implementation you can apply for an exemption.

So my personal summary, broken act, AGD trying to cope, and belligerent industry complaining after the fact.

-Michael Carmody