[AusNOG] Cheapest half decent 10Gbps switch (for iSCSI only)

Luke Smith luke at smith.name
Mon Apr 20 11:38:05 EST 2015

Dell sell plenty of their basic L2 10G switches for this purpose - they
seem to Just Work and run an IOS-a-like CLI - similarly  to Huawei they are
about half the price of something similar from Juniper or Cisco.

That said I'm not sure I see value in dedicated SANs any more - why not
converge and run storage and front end on the one fabric? Less bottlenecks,
less complexity, more redundancy, cheaper, and so on. The Dell switches
support all the DCE-type features you need to make this work without drama.

On 20 April 2015 at 11:19, Josh Tipping <josh.tipping at icita.com> wrote:

>  I can give you pricing and info on some Huawei switching options if you
> like (disclose: we are a disty). Nothing down near the netgear stuff
> however, but you’d be looking at 24x10GE @ wire speed well under half the
> cost of the cisco/juniper options you’ve mentioned. Contact me off list if
> you are interested.
>

> Cheers,
>

> *Josh Tipping *

Cheers,