[AusNOG] Procurve POE Switch RTP issues

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Apr 16 20:42:10 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 20:19 +1000, Joseph Goldman wrote:
> Given he stated PoE switch I'd imagine the devices are PoE which on all
> devices i've used means if they've powered on they are in the right
> port, i.e. PoE IN is only on the correct port.

The ethernet is in the correct port for the reasons you give, but also
because the phones can initiate calls. The problem is that the call
consists of silence in both directions, which might be explained by the
handset at one end not being attached at all or being attached
incorrectly.

By handset the bit you hold in your hand when talking on the phone. The
handset is usually connected to the station via a few feet of coiled
cable plugged into an RJ11 socket. Since these are brand new phones I'm
suggesting that a mistake may have been made when unboxing them, and the
RJ11 plug might have been plugged into the ethernet passthru socket, or
not properly inserted into the handset socket on the station. Or not
properly inserted into the socket on the handset itself.

It's a long shot, but stranger things have happened, and I have actually
seen a phone with the handset incorrectly plugged into the passthru.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4
Old fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882