[AusNOG] IPv6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Apr 1 11:48:48 EST 2015

In message <737453493.3028960.1427847603971.JavaMail.yahoo at mail.yahoo.com>, Mar
k ZZZ Smith writes:
> On 01/04/2015 9:20 AM, "Mark Delany" <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:
> >
> > On 01Apr15, Mark Andrews allegedly wrote:

> > > No, its been selected because ISPs as a whole have procastinated
> > > about delivering IPv6
> >
> > Not sure it's an either/or situation. Even if you deploy IPv6
> > everywhere you still have to offer IPv4 reachability for your
> > customers.
> >
> > Hopefully what Robert is observing is not an alternative to IPv6,
> > rather it's a means of giving customers access to those recalcitrant
> > IPv4-only destinations.That was my point. Even if an ISP offers IPv6 to
> > 100% of its customers, it still needs to offer IPv4 to practically 100%
> > of its customers as well, because there's a lot of systems/software/tools
> > out there that don't yet speak IPv6.
> / So nobody here who is advocating deploying IPv6 is saying (or has said)
> to switch off IPv4 at the same time.

And even if they did you can run IPv4 as a service over IPv6 much
the same was as people run IPv6 over IPv4 today.  There are ISPs
doing this today.  Lots of mobile carriers do this today.  There
are also some fixed line ISPs doing this today.

DS-Lite is outsourceable.  464XLATE is outsourceable.  DNS64/NAT64
is outsourceable.  A IPv6 only ISP doesn't have to host the boxes
that provide this service.  They can be located anywhere on the
planet though obviously closer is better.  At the very end of the
transition to IPv6 only it will be the individual customers that
will arrange for this to happen.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC