[AusNOG] Brocade experience

James Braunegg james.braunegg at micron21.com
Thu Sep 25 09:01:41 EST 2014

Dear Tom

Brocade state the X cards supports 1 million routes, but in actual fact this is incorrect. (It’s actually just smart advertising)

The X platform supports 1 million ipv4 routes however, turn on a small section of ipv6 and this drops to 700k ipv4 routes using the profile cam profile ipv4-ipv6-2  turn on some VPN functions and this drops to about 600k routes .. turn on even more IPv6 routes and you get a very small IPv4 FIB which is a lot less than the promised 1 million routes….

When you take into consideration both the IPv4 and IPv6 route tables will keep growing it makes the X2 cards with 2 million (total routes minus features.. you turn on) look very attractive over the X

Please note you cannot use X cards and X2 cards within the same device.

With reference to management cards, we have seen a few of these fail randomly for random reasons including cpu and memory errors which resulted in cards being replaced, however the redundant standby card seamlessly worked every time. Never seen a switch fabric die however these are so cheap they are worth buying.

As for software intricacies never come across any software issues using two management cards its always just worked, the key is to wait for the D or E software release of the code which means you’re always 1 or 2 versions behind the latest firmware.

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg
P:  1300 769 972  |  M:  0488 997 207 |  D:  (03) 9751 7616
E:   james.braunegg at micron21.com<mailto:james.braunegg at micron21.com>  |  ABN:  12 109 977 666
W:  www.micron21.com/ddos-protection<http://www.micron21.com/ddos-protection>   T: @micron21

This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.