[AusNOG] Network mapping Tool/Software

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Sat Sep 13 18:33:47 EST 2014

On 13/09/14 11:33, Jared Hirst wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Our network map is getting rather large now and hard to manage in
> Visio with so many switches and links coming online daily, what does
> everyone use to manage this between a team of network guys?
>
> Or do you all just document the core network that doesn't change and
> not the edges?
>
> Happy to have replies for suggested software and ideas on and off list.
>
> ​Cheers,
> Jared​

Hi Jared,

We had a discussion on the list about this a while back - probably worth
reviewing:
http://lists.ausnog.net/pipermail/ausnog/2011-September/011189.html

In the intervening time, I've rebuilt 90% of the core of a medium-sized
corporate network, and I have to say I would never use Visio, but would
instead use graphviz, either manually specified or automatically
generated from LLDP/CDP info and/or interface IPs/masks.  (I'd probably
try the latter if I was starting fresh.)

Regards,
Paul