[AusNOG] Community TV given the flick

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:47:27 EST 2014

Ki Ora from All Black land,

While this may not be exactly aligned with the network issues normally
aligned on this
group- I am happy to follow the discussion to date. I will call it a
"Friday" discussion.

In most of the Western World, the standard analogue TV channels have
been switched off
and the frequency spectrum sold to Mobile operators with deep pockets.
I was never sure exactly why this was done, but assume that powers of
intelligence much
greater than mine were at work.  Personally, I suspect the politicians
saw dollar signs and
went blind very quickly.

Community TV was never a "biggie" in NZ, despite the spectrum being
available, as most
small communities never had the kind of resources available to undertake
that stuff.
Small scale community radio still seems to happen, but it is rarely
noted or listened to.

By way of comparison, I happened to live in a tiny town in New England,
USA where the
dial-up connection was as reliable as a politicians promise- it would
disconnect at random
intervals usually when you were in the middle of something that seemed
important at the time.
Like a MS Service pack download.
This was 2001

We had a cable TV connection, but just a basic one that didn't cost the
earth and offer
600 channels of repeats of MASH or something similar.

However, I was amused that one channel was the local town channel.
And we are talking a town with maybe 900 residents.
This channel constantly broadcast all the contact phone numbers for the
various services
that the tiny town provided as kind of Power Point slide show.
Then................once a week it got really exciting, because that was
when they had the town
meeting, and it was all broadcast live via a single tiny webcam.

All the local town council people had to behave themselves when it was
live to the community.
No backdoor deals, no behind the scenes nonsense (well, I had to assume
so) and it
was actually quite interesting to watch.

I have to assume that the Cable TV provider allowed some form of local
access as a right to
distribute their content within that area.

That is readily done on the net, but getting through to the local
community relies on 2 very
important things - 1/ Internet access, and a reasonable/modest speed and
2/Local awareness
of its existence.

I live in a rural area, but am lucky enough to live quite close to the
Telephone exchange, so
I get quite good speed on an ADSL2 connection and could upgrade to VDSL,
but haven't bothered.

The radio/wireless/tv  frequencies (in my view) have been hi-jacked by
the scam merchants
and fellow travellers, as an "all move forward for benefit of mankind"
digital upgrade that
actually serves no great benefit at all, and disadvantages large
sections of people who do
not live in a big city and quite enjoy listening to scratchy radio from
a distance, or watching
their selection of a couple of channels (with snow) of the news.

I suspect that there is more life left in lower frequency radio waves
for digital transmission
but that isn't where the iPod money is.

But, I would be happy to be advised otherwise.

Alan Maher