[AusNOG] Choice says using Netflix is NOT Piracy

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Sep 9 15:46:16 EST 2014

On Sep 9, 2014, at 3:29 PM, Matt Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:

> I've always gotten the latter message from Internode -- or, more precisely,
> "If you don't call us you'll continue to get the same lower data allowance",
> since their prices don't tend to go down, they just give you more stuff.

There are two scenarios:

One is where the new plans are unambiguously better.  For instance, 50 Gbytes was recently added to a range of plans, happened automatically on account rollovers, like magic, no questions asked.

The other is where there are new plans which are better on one axis in a multiple-axis world.  The new plan table might have one option that gives you more widgets for the same price, and another option that gives you the same widgets at a lower price. The customer actually needs to make a choice there: Bitter experience taught the company that making an assumption about which direction the customer would want to move provoked enormous quantities of Whirlpool butthurt, so it’s easier and cheaper to tell everyone the world has changed and let them make up their own mind (or not, as the case may be).

I haven’t worked there for several years, but I broadly approve of both approaches. Divining the will of customers is a very difficult and inexact science.

  - mark