[AusNOG] Fwd: Life in the trenches of large-ish IPv6 networks

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 8 14:51:36 EST 2014

This network has deeper problems that are not caused by IPv6's change in neighbor discovery methods. IPv6's change in behaviour may have made it worse, but it isn't the cause.

"Over the summer we have been experiencing a variety of issues with our core switches. We continued to experience these issues even after upgrading the firmware as recommended by Juniper, which we did (on an emergency, unscheduled basis) two Mondays ago. The most serious issue is that there appear to be bridge loops occasionally being created which saturate the CPU on the core switches, thereby preventing them from running necessary protocol processing."