[AusNOG] Routing issue

Julian De Marchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Fri Oct 24 14:44:45 EST 2014

Hey guys!

I have an issue with my VyOS routers that I would like some help
figuring out please.

I have 3 routers setup, one at the DC and two in the office. One is used
as my primary router and the other is my backup in the office. The are
all connected via OSPF and my backup router in the office has a priority
of 1 while the main one has a priority of 100 and the DC has a priority
of 200.

The office has a 10.1.1.0/24 network that the DC is not connected to,
and this is the network I'm having issues with. My other router, mainly
10.106.0.0/24 work fine from the DC to the office. I can ping the
10.1.1.XXX addresses on the two office routers from my DC router.
However there is wierdness in the traceroute to each IP. Here are the
weird traceroutes. http://pastebin.com/efy0Tztb

This is my ping to a host on the 10.1.1.0/24 network from the DC router,
http://pastebin.com/efy0Tztb. You see it never makes it. Here is a
tcpdump output from the office router while the ping is going on,
http://pastebin.com/9tRzGTcD

Here is my OSPF neighbour information from the DC router,
http://pastebin.com/60etkvpa. This is the routing information from the
DC router as well, http://pastebin.com/52RmmiN7

I'm confused as to what is occurring here. I'd like to learn more about
how to troubleshoot such issues too. This is my first step into the
(un)professional world of networking.

--julian