[AusNOG] TPG Peering

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Wed Oct 22 11:07:53 EST 2014

On 22/10/2014 10:47 am, Joseph Goldman wrote:

>> I'm not certain that would work. He could just re-route via an alternate
>> existing provider. Would anybody here be convinced to buy transit off a
>> provider if you are having capacity issues with them at a peering level?
>
> Ultimately, given the size of bandwidth requirement and the latency
> critical level of the applications - this may well not be an option.
>
>   Any peer he forces it out with a POP in NSW, will likely still reach
> TPG via PIPE anyway, which still congests that single ingress point. To
> really route around this ingress point would likely have to
> geographically route it outside of it's reach, adding latency and
> possible identifying other points of congestion for his 500mbits of
> traffic to go through.

Doubt it, Vocus hasn't had pipe nsw for a long time.

This comes down to capacity planning as well, what would happen if the
PIPE peering switch died that your connected to, the traffic would have
to traverse another path, surely if you're pushing 500M to TPG you would
have 500M of capacity on another provider to shove the traffic on.

Admittedly it's going to cost $$ once your over your 95%, which could be
painful, but what has more pain, customers complaining of latency (loss
of business) or 95% bill for October & November (likely).