[AusNOG] Public Internet Access Policies

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Oct 8 11:37:47 EST 2014

Re Liability of the provider, I'd be concerned that if you DO make an
effort to filter, and then someone manages to get questionable content up
(as in porn, not as in the awesome cartoon), whether you are then accepting
liability for the person being able to get to that content?

On 8 October 2014 11:33, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> In my view, Filtering in this scenario is less about what the user can
> access, but more about the liability on the provider.
>
> IMHO, Filtering should be mandatory in public access areas. We generally
> use Juniper SRX's with Websense backend and harsh category selection.
>

> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
>
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
>
> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
> linkedin.com/in/skeeve
>
> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>

> The Experts Who The Experts Call
> Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering
>
> On 8 October 2014 11:05, Andrew Yager <andrew at rwts.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> We’re currently developing a public internet access solution for a public
>> space, and one of the things we’re considering is content filtering as part
>> of the solution.
>>
>> Obviously the usual caveats apply around success, ability to circumvent,
>> etc, but given all of these caveats, what are people’s general opinion on:
>>
>> - is it a good idea to do this in a public space (think children,
>> families, etc all around)
>> - what sort of filtering have you implemented in the past? We are looking
>> at a solution that would do simple category filtering at the moment, with
>> the option to blacklist and whitelist particular URLs
>> - what sort of categories would you generally block?
>>
>> I’m personally of the opinion that it’s a “good idea” in this context
>> although not fool proof.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>
>> --
>> Andrew Yager, Managing Director   MACS (Snr) CP BCompSc MCP
>> Real World Technology Solutions Pty Ltd - IT people you can trust
>> ph: 1300 798 718 or (02) 9037 0500
>> fax: (02) 9037 0591
>> http://www.rwts.com.au/

Damien Gardner Jnr