[AusNOG] NBNCo Tails to Plane Seats?

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 29 12:00:51 EST 2014

>________________________________

At face value this application was the only reason that I could see to justify the launching of satellites, however if mobile base stations with antennas point up works then that defeats this application of satellites too.

I think that most people who advocate satellites don't have an appreciation as to how much impact latency has on end-user experience. I think satellite should only be the absolute last resort once every other terrestrial and therefore much low latency option has been considered and isn't possible.

In particular, I'd like to see evaluation of alternative technologies for rural use like IEEE 802.22 which uses TV "white spaces" (unused channel frequencies) that can apparently support ranges of up to 100Kms for fixed base stations (there might be less technical/high level presentations available, that is one that showed up via a Google search and is an IEEE one)

http://www.ieee802.org/22/Technology/22-10-0073-03-0000-802-22-overview-and-core-technologies.pdf

A chain of point-to-point wireless links with an 802.22 cell on the end of it to reach a remote rural site would provide a much better Internet experience than the satellite alternative. With the amount of money NBNco are to be spending on launching their own satellites, I think that would buy plenty of 802.22 cells and interconnecting infrastructure instead.

Regards,
Mark.