[AusNOG] New industry body to represent ISPs. (was Re: Re RackCentral

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 19 13:20:34 EST 2014

+1 John - Its not even the first time - and yes, this needs a new thread to separate
it from the amateur lawyers on the RackCentral thread.

I've posted before about the IIA - the Internet Industry Association. You guys let
that die by failing to support it, and it fell over in March this year, transferring
its IP into Comms Alliance.

Before that was SPAN - Service Provider's Action Network - basically everyone except
Telstra, set up to further the needs of the rest of the industry lobbying against Telstra.
It went broke and merged with ACIF (Australian Communications Industry Forum) to form
Communications Alliance in 2006.

ATUG was around for a long time, representing the interests of large business uses of
telecommunications - but it was a victim of its own success.

Calling for a *someone* that *aught to do something* to protect ISP's interests misses
the whole point. Its *you* that aughta do something. You've had two or three such
organisations in the past many years, and you've let them all die. The only people
that can represent your interests are *you* - and if you form another representative
body to lobby government, you've got to resource it appropriately with *real money*
and *real people*, or you'll get the same result.

If you've got nobody spending your lobbying budget flying (or driving or taking the
bus) to Canberra to speak to those who need to be educated, you've only got yourself
to blame if the outcome isn't to your liking.