[AusNOG] Re RackCentral

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 09:57:34 EST 2014

I don't know the particular circumstances either (or have any inside info), but for those transit providers you've mentioned I assume that there would have been contracts signed. For those providers to show some support and "not allow them to continue to operate" would most likely require them to break these contracts (and potentially expose themselves to compensation or legal action). If it can be proven that somewhere along the line the assets were transferred illegally, then perhaps there might be scope for this, but at the moment the suppliers would probably be in breach of contract if they terminated the services to rackcentral.v2. It would be nice if contracts included a 'douchebag' clause, but unfortunately I don't think many of them do.
The same goes for APNIC. They too are reliant on ASIC to investigate claims of trading/transfer of assets whilst insolvent,  they can't take the assets back until this is proven to have happened. If this can't/isn't proven, then "officially" it's all legit and nobody really has a legal leg to stand on for any sort of action against the new company.
This of course doesn't make it "morally" right, but you can't on one hand complain about rackcentral getting out of contracts by selling the assets and changing name and then in the same breath suggest that suppliers who have contracts with rackcentral.v2 should be allowed to terminate their contracts.
It's quite possible that when these new contracts were signed none of this had really happened yet (insolvency, not paying Vocus). Companies change names and unless the transit providers had some reason to be suspicious they probably had no reason not to sign a contract with rackcentral.v2. I do note that 2/3 transit you've mentioned are NOT Australia based ones and so they may not have had any personal dealing with the people/companies involved or done anything more than a general check on things. And no offence intended to Spirit Telecom, but I haven't heard of them and it would appear that their only upstream transit is from AAPT exclusively, so I'm not sure they're a big player.
I'm going to get down off my soapbox too now, thanks for reading. I'm not trying to incite argument, just trying to point out that you can't expect contracts to be honoured and then suggest that other people should breach contracts to show support for contracts not being honoured.

regards,Tony.(IANAL)