[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Fri May 30 10:59:54 EST 2014

On 30/05/14 09:35, Sam Silvester wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Paul Brooks
> <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au <mailto:pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>>
> wrote:
>

>     The argument for multiple ports is to prevent the end-users house
>     being captured by a
>     single ISP. Each port can be used by a different ISP (or some
>     other non-ISP body -
>     like, say, a local council) and bypass the first one - but that
>     does not imply that an
>     application using a different port wouldn't work just as well
>     through the first port
>     IFF the first ISP was designed or operated right, or had the right
>     commercial model.
>

> I can't help but feel having a single port doesn't mean end users are
> captured by an single ISP - that only really is the case if either the
> wholesaler also happens to be a retailer, and therefore likely to
> pre-provision a service for convenience or the like.
>
> Realistically, the thing that locks most people into a single ISP and
> makes change difficult are lengthy contract terms and bundle deals -
> and having more ports available doesn't change that.
Just quickly, I'm noting that many of the NBN only providers are going
contract free (some are even giving 1 month free trials), I wonder how
much of the 2 year contract for nbn service these days is down to inertia.
So it does seem to have some pressure on contract terms. If it became
more widely available that pressure may increase.

> Especially with a gradual move to CPE that are managed in some way
> (HFC, TR-069 compliant DSL modems etc), it's not much more than a case
> of "unplug old CPE, plug in box supplied by new ISP".
You still have the issue of down time, but I'll grant you if the owner
of the line is not the one serving up the service you would gain a great
deal of flexibility.
A user could sign up for the new service and when the RSP says its
ready, connect to NBNco's website via mobile (say) then tick the box to
churn their own service and within a minute or 3 the new service would
be active (or do it over the phone with the RSP?).
If the new service doesn't come up right, the customer hits the button
and it goes back to how it was.