[AusNOG] Cisco 3750-X vs 3850

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu May 22 19:46:00 EST 2014

All,

I'm not saying they are bad... their rrp is identical and the 3850's are
cheaper at the moment, assuming because Cisco is pushing them.  Though
given there is very little stock at the moment until June sometime on main
models.

To clarify... I've used these and for day-to-day gig layer 3 switching,
they are basically the same as the 3750X's.  If you want the extra features
they have, great... then of course it is better for you.

Yes, the new stacking is nice... but I don't think I ever had an issue on
the 3750X's, and rarely on a 3750's.

The non-backward compatible stacking with the 3750's is annoying... they
could have facilitated that.

Re iOS-XE... love it... especially the linux shell... feels like the copied
some of Junos's features... which is cool.

If you are greenfields deployment... go the 3850's...   They just don't
register any major differences for basic layer 3 switching.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering