[AusNOG] Private Link - India

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:20:18 EST 2014

My employer recently had links quoted in India (our Indian offices are
currently served by a local provider) as part of a global WAN link
consolidation project.

The prices from global vendors for links of the same quoted service speed
were 10x what we currently pay the local provider.

It may well be viable to pay for a point-to-point link locally within India
with a local provider from your office to a datacentre where a global
carrier already has a POP, and then pay for the carriage from that point to
Australia.

I find the carrier market in India to have some "unique" aspects that have
me facepalming at various times.  Happy to share some experienced offline.