[AusNOG] Older Juniper J series routers - time bomb

Lloyd Wood lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 29 18:11:21 EST 2014

> I'm fairly certain that hard-coding a drop-dead date into your
> devices would be frowned upon by the courts.

Well, the obvious previous drop-dead date was Y2K. Anyone know of any existing case law pertaininng
to the millennium bug?

Lloyd Wood

lloyd.wood at yahoo.co.uk

http://about.me/lloydwood

On Friday, 28 March 2014, 7:44, Matt Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 05:57:40PM +0100, Tom Storey wrote:
> Perusing the j-nsp list I came across this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/juniper/50450
>
> If youre running any older J series (i.e. x300), or were thinking of
> digging them out to use for some purpose, you might be in for a
> slightly rude shock.
>
> Otherwise its a "sad" thing to see. I have a J2300 in my lab at home
> which works great in such a role, it would be a shame to have to ditch
> it due to an expired certificate.

I really hope someone with a bit of money and an evil gleam in their eye
decides to take Juniper to task for this.  I'm fairly certain that
hard-coding a drop-dead date into your devices would be frowned upon by the
courts.

- Matt