[AusNOG] Older Juniper J series routers - time bomb

Jonathan Thorpe jthorpe at Conexim.com.au
Fri Mar 28 10:15:44 EST 2014

Hi All,

I wonder if this affects the last generation of J-Series (x350) before Juniper came out with the SRX?

I have a couple of J-4350s (and also some J-6350s, not currently powered on) running in a lab environment that run a rather antiquated 10.0R3.10 release and they appear to be running fine. The certificates in /etc/db/certs/ all show the same expiry date that was mentioned in the post and the time/date is correct, however " show system license" doesn't show any errors regarding the certificates, it just shows:
---
License usage: none

Licenses installed: none
---

I know for a fact that these routers never had any additional licenses installed, so that looks normal to me.

One of the posts mentioned that "When the J-series was initially released, there were order numbers that came with some ports software-disabled, and you could pay for a key to enter to unlock the additional ports. It looks like the certificate
used to check the keys has expired.".

To the best of my knowledge, the last of the J-Series didn't have restrictions on activated ports so they may therefore be unaffected.

What does worry me slightly is that MX-series routers do rely on licenses and on a couple I have in production, all have license files that show expired certificates. These are running fine and "show system license" shows everything I'd expect.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan