[AusNOG] Going beyond ADSL in a non-NBN world

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Mon Mar 24 22:16:08 EST 2014

Hi all,

I asked this on IRC today and after discussing it for a while with
various people I agreed that it needed a fuller expression here. (It has
also been posted to SAGE-AU - apologies to those on both lists.)

My biggest client has a growing network of about 30 branch offices
scattered around Queensland, mostly connected on ADSL, almost
exclusively through iiNet.  We've had a number of poor support
experiences recently, particularly last week where I was flown in on
site to try to resolve some connectivity issues.  I had logged a fault
on the line and was told a Telstra tech would visit site early in the
week.  When the Telstra tech didn't show, I rang iiNet and was told that
Telstra had decided there were no problems with the line (and so didn't
bother coming on site), and was told the fault was resolved, despite the
fact that I was still experiencing 20% packet loss on pings, and tens of
thousands of receive CRC errors every hour.  When I pushed for more
information, I was told that there was a congestion issue on that DSLAM
and it wouldn't be fixed for another 2.5 months.  (Somebody please tell
me how congestion can cause CRC errors!)  So over the week, I got a lot
more familiar with ABC Jazz (iiNet's hold music), and came to the
conclusion that we need to investigate alternatives to ADSL (and iiNet).

What I'm looking for is (in rough order of importance):

 1. better line reliability
 2. better line monitoring (so that I can prove I'm getting better
    reliability)
 3. access to technical support which is more thorough, transparent,
    communicative, and technical
 4. better uplink speeds

At the moment most of our sites use a standard consumer-grade ADSL modem
in bridging mode, and our Linux firewall runs the PPPoE connection and
an OpenVPN tunnel to our data centres.  We could get #2 simply by using
a more advanced CPE (e.g. Cisco 88x series has been recommended), but
all this it would do is prove that we have a bad line.  Finding an ISP
that is big enough to understand how to deal with Telstra but small
enough to talk technical with us will solve #3, but #1 & #4 are
problematic.  Many of our sites are regional, so Metro Ethernet will not
likely be available.  Some of them are 6+ km from their local exchanges,
and, as a special bonus, get terrible 3G reception.  MPLS doesn't seem
to solve the issue of line quality or monitoring - it works with
whatever L2 technology is there.  Most ISPs EoC offerings seem to be
just bonded SHDSL, and there's no guarantee the ISP is actually
monitoring the pairs that make up the EoC bundle, and I'm told that they
generally don't monitor it until the customer complains.

So getting down to my actual questions:

  * What technology is the most cost-effective step up from ADSL, given
    the above parameters?
  * What CPE would you recommend for getting useful quality metrics
    about the line (exposed via SNMP or some other openly standardised
    method) so that we can go straight to the ISP with hard data when a
    line fails?
  * How relevant is OAM as part of this solution?

My current thinking is tending towards SHDSL with low-end Cisco/Juniper
CPE.  In the sites where it's viable, obviously we'd go fibre in
preference to copper if the cost difference were low. Either way, this
would be a big cost increase over our current setup, so I need to
convince management (and be convinced myself) that this will actually be
a cost-benefit win on the reliability, monitoring, and support sides.

Any thoughts?  I'm happy to take off-list plugs from relevant service
providers, as long as you're OK with the fact that you'll be behind our
existing suppliers in the queue.  (Please, no offers of fully managed
network services.  No offense, but I just don't believe that you care
about our connections enough to monitor them well.)

Thanks,
Paul