[AusNOG] Process for installing new kit in existing racks in .au data centres?

Jay Mitchell jay at miscreant.org
Mon Mar 24 14:56:21 EST 2014

Hi all,

Just after a bit of info on what is usual when a customer wants to install
new hardware in their existing racks.

We have a not insignificant number of rack with a carrier, who shall remain
unnamed. Quite a few are sparsely populated (a few totally empty), yet
we're having a ridiculously hard time getting approval to install a fairly
insignificant amount of new kit into our existing racks. It's been about a
week so far this time (this isn't the first time..).

Is this usual? I've been stuck in the same DCs for the last 8 years or so,
so my knowledge of current practices in other DC's is limited. What goes
in Equinix, Globalswitch, NextDC?

Replies on or off list are fine.

Kind regards,

Jay